Here are five of this week’s most important and interesting news items and articles:
1. 96 Quick SEO Wins – What Can You Do With an Hour? – SEOmoz hits another one out of the park with 96 ways you can spend an hour improving your SEO efforts. Not all are serious, but many will remind you of tactics you can take advantage of with a short investment of time.
2. 9 SEO Quirks You Should Be Aware Of — Along similar lines, Search Engine Land provides a reminder of a number of small quirks that can have a big effect on your site. Check them out to make sure you are doing things the right way.
3. The Value of Rich Snippets and Structured Data — eConsultancy has a good post on rich snippets and why you need to pay attention to them if you don’t already take advantage of their power.
4. Q4 Showed Facebook Will Survive Mobile Because It’s An Ads Scalpel, Not A Shotgun — Lots of Facebook news so far this year, but TechCrunch’s take on the Q4 results conference sheds some light on their approach to mobile and ads going forward through the rest of 2013.
5. How to Get Listed in Bing Local Canada – Finally! — Ross Dunn at Stepforth has a step-by-step guide to setting up a listing in Bing Local if your business is located in Canada. Canucks have been waiting a long time for this functionality to arrive — it’s long overdue.
Bonus: Since we’re (well, Ross is) talking about getting listed in local, have a laugh with a comicgraphic that takes numerous shots at Google Places — Why Small Businesses Hate Google+ Local from Nifty Marketing (click on the image below and scroll to see the long-and-winding road followed by a new business trying to establish itself on Google Places).