Here are five of this week’s most informative and important news items and blog posts:
1. Pure Spam: What Are Google Penalties & What To Do To Recover — Search Engine Watch has a very useful breakdown of the different types of spam, according to Google, which will help you figure out how to handle spam messages you may receive from the search engine.
2. Breaking Out of Last-Click Attribution Toward the Holistic Marketing Mix — The times are changing with paid search, and with change comes uncertainty. Kevin Lee at ClickZ sheds some light on the last-click attribution conundrum.
3. Google Analytics and Cookies – The Complete Guide — Ever been confused by ga.js cookies versus utm cookies? Not even sure what those are? This guide clearly lays it out, together with a demonstration of how to ensure that your cookies are performing correctly. A must-read for analytics newbies and a nice refresher for those with a little more experience.
4. Cannes Lions 2013: Microsoft Introduces Panoramic Ad Format and Conceptual Ads — ClickZ has some examples of the impressive new wave in interactive advertising coming with Windows 8 and Microsoft recently debuted in Cannes.
5. Updating Page Insights — Facebook announced changes to its Page Insights feature. Some users will already see the changes, but most of us will have to wait a few more months for full implementation. The revised stats will include a deeper breakdown of the difference between liking a page and interacting with it and integration of “engagement” measures. (Note that Facebook is defining “engagement” as “the number of unique people who have clicked on, liked, commented on, or shared your posts.”)